Low Histamine Mediterranean Falafel
This low histamine mediterranean falafel recipe is really easy to make, and a really good option for those people who react to histamine containing, or histamine liberating foods.
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup carrot (diced)
- 2 Tbsn tapioca flour
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tspn thyme
- 2 Tbsn besan flour (chickpea flour)
- 2 cups green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 Tbsn oil
- 2 tspn dried onion flakes
- 2 tspn coconut flakes
- 1/2 tspn poppy seeds (optional)
- If using fresh fresh green peas, shell them, rinse and drain. Alternatively, you can thaw frozen peas, and use at room temperature.
- Add olive oil to a frying pan and sauté onions until transparent. Next up, add the garlic and carrots and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooking bowl.
- Throw the peas into the same frying pan and sauté at low heat until they’re cooked for about 5 minutes. You can more olive oil if necessary.
- In a food processor or using a potato masher, add green peas, tapioca flour, besan flour, salt & pepper. Then blend until the green peas are halfway mashed.
- Using a cooking bowl, mix the green pea mixture and onion mixture. Wet your hands and shape the mixture into small balls.
- Mix coating ingredients i.e dried onion flakes, coconut flakes and poppy seeds. Cover green pea balls with this mixture.
- Place balls on a pan covered with a baking sheet. Bake at 180C until golden brown for about 10 minutes per side, and your done!