Hypochlorhydria is a common condition that affects people all over the world. This condition is characterized by a lack of hydrochloric acid (HCl) in the stomach, which is necessary for digestion and nutrient absorption. Low stomach acid, if left untreated, can cause a variety of health issues such as malnutrition, bacterial overgrowth, and autoimmune disorders.
This blog post will discuss how functional medicine can be used to diagnose and treat low stomach acid, as well as offer suggestions for increasing stomach acid levels.
The symptoms of Hypochlorhydria can vary from person to person, and sometimes not show any manifestation. However, some common symptoms include:
- Acid reflux
- Abdominal pain
- Bad breath
- Weak hair and nails
Functional medicine uses several tests to diagnose Hypochlorhydria. Some of the most common tests include:
- Heidelberg pH test: This test measures stomach pH levels to determine low stomach acid.
- Serum gastrin test: This test measures the level of gastrin in the blood, a hormone produced by the stomach when empty. Low levels of gastrin may indicate low stomach acid.
- Stool test: This test measures the level of undigested food in the stool, which can indicate malabsorption due to low stomach acid.
- Betaine HCl challenge test: This test involves taking a betaine hydrochloride supplement to determine if there is low stomach acid.
Functional Medicine Approach offers a holistic approach to treating Hypochlorhydria, focusing on identifying and addressing the root cause of the problem.
- Comprehensive gut testing: Functional medicine practitioners use cutting-edge testing to identify any imbalances in the gut that may contribute to it. These tests include stool analysis, SIBO breath testing, and food allergy testing.
- Nutritional support: Functional medicine practitioners provide customized nutritional plans to help support the body’s natural ability to produce stomach acid. They may recommend supplements such as digestive enzymes, probiotics, and betaine HCl.
- Lifestyle modifications: Functional medicine practitioners in Adelaide work with patients to identify lifestyle factors that may contribute to it, such as stress, poor diet, and lack of sleep. They offer guidance on how to make meaningful changes to support optimal digestive health.
It can significantly impact overall health and well-being. By taking a comprehensive approach that addresses diet, lifestyle, and nutritional deficiencies, patients can experience improved digestion, better absorption of nutrients, and a reduction in symptoms.
If you are Looking for a Functional Medicine practitioner or a Chronic Fatigue Specialist in Adelaide? Contact Elemental Health and Nutrition to help you with your needs. We’re committed to empowering you on your wellness journey. Our holistic approach focuses on integrating nutritional medicine with cutting-edge testing techniques.