Functional Medicine can treat Chronic Illness
Functional Medicine. When illness becomes chronic, it starts to affect multiple body systems.
Chronic pain and ill health affects the body, but also the mind. The distress and worry that it causes creates even more stress on the body. It’s a vicious cycle, with one aspect feeding the other.
In this scenario, some body processes can become overworked and overstimulated (think adrenaline and cortisol), while other processes may start to shut down (again, think cortisol and also the digestive system). Focusing only on managing the symptoms often hides the causes of these changes.
A statin will never address why you have high cholesterol.
A probiotic will never address why you have dysbiosis.
Some causes of Chronic Illness
- Mitochondrial dysfunction
- Structural abnormalities – Removal of organs, tissue damage, scarring, adhesions, insufficient smooth muscle control (etc. gastric sphincters or heart valves)
- Toxic chemical exposure
- Toxic levels of emotional stress and trauma
- Hormonal imbalances
- Immune system dysfunction
- Chronic inflammatory responses
- Digestive issues
- Por diet and physical inactivity
Understanding the Individual
I take an evidence-based approach to my clients’ health. Individuals are just that, individuals, and acknowledgement of this must be made when deciding on a course of action to take and developing a treatment plan.
- Home and work environments
- Pain, discomfort, and less apparent symptoms
- Sleep characteristics
- Digestive symptoms
- Mood status
- Genetic background
- Activity level
- Dietary habits
- Stressors and past trauma
- Vitamin B2 – Are your eyes sensitive to light? Do you wear sunglasses more than other people? Did you start going grey early? Do you have a slow thyroid?
- Zinc – Do you get a stitch when you run? Do you have a poor appetite in the morning? Do you prefer a vegetarian diet? Do you have white spots on your fingernails? Guys, do you have erections in the morning?
- Vitamin B12 – Do you bump into things a lot? Do you follow a vegetarian diet? Do you have digestive issues? Do you get dizzy when you stand up?
- Parasites – Do you get an itchy bum? Do you pass mucus in your stool? Does the full moon affect you? Do you drink rain water, do you have a dog?
- Oxalates – Do you eat lots of leafy greens? Do you grow your own vegetables? Do you have trouble breaking down fats? Do you have any joint, muscle or nerve pain?
Gathering this data will help me evaluate and interpret how the interactions between your genetics, lifestyle and environmental factors are causing your symptoms.
Focusing on the causes of Chronic Disease
Due to the severity of these diseases and their acute symptoms, conventional doctors often rush to find the right medication to treat these symptoms.
In Western Medicine today, many doctors still practice by classifying the symptoms and matching them to a drug, while Functional Medicine takes a different approach. Accurate test interpretation can reveal a considerable amount of information to help identify the cause of illness. There is now specific testing available, which can provide detailed analysis of different aspects of the body. This can significantly enhance the ability to provide accurate and targeted treatment.
It is becoming more common and more widely accepted to be investigating Functional Medicine to diagnose and treat chronic conditions. People are wanting to look beneath the layers and are trying to get to the root of their problems.
At Elemental Health and Nutrition, I love helping people find relief from chronic health issues. In the face of such a structured biochemical approach, I am very down to earth and nurturing, and work WITH patients according to their values, current depth of understanding, and willingness to make changes to their health.
He also has the rare gift of ‘meeting you where you are,’ whether you’re in the baby-steps mode or ready for hard-core changes to your diet, lifestyle, everything, like me. I have already recommended him to a number of my friends and have no hesitation in recommending him to anyone who’s serious about getting better.
Looking for a Functional Medicine practitioner or a Chronic Fatigue Specialist in Adelaide? Contact Elemental Health and Nutrition to help you with your needs. We’re committed to empowering you on your wellness journey. Our holistic approach focuses on integrating nutritional medicine with cutting-edge testing techniques.